Chia Seed Muffins
- Yield 12 servings
- 1 -- stick butter, softened
- 3/4 cup raw or regular sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached all-purpose four
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a muffin tin with muffin papers or lightly grease a muffin tin.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. You can do this by hand, with a hand-held mixer, or in a stand mixer.
3. Blend in the eggs, yogurt, and vanilla.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, chia seeds, salt, and baking soda.
5. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and blend just until combined. Do not over mix.
6. Fill each muffin cup2⁄3 full of batter.
7. Optional: Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (2 tablespoons sugar and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon).
8. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Allow the muffins to cool slightly before removing from the tin.
Reprinted with permission from Chia: The Complete Guide to the Ultimate Superfood © 2012 by Wayne Coates, PhD, Sterling Publishing Co. Photographs by Bill Milne.