Chia Rice Salad
- Yield: servings
- 1cup cool water
- 1 3/4tablespoons chia seeds
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-2-- cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon fresh rosemary or oregano leaves, minced
- 1/8teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3cups cooked brown rice (long grain, basmati, or short grain)
- 1small zucchini, julienned
- 1medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
To make chia gel: Pour the water into a sealable plastic or glass container. Slowly pour chia seeds in to water while briskly mixing with wire whisk. Wait 3 or 4 minutes then whisk again. Let the mixture stand about 10 minutes before whisking again.
In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup chia gel, oil, lemon, garlic, salt, herbs, and cayenne. Whisk until well-blended. (You can also put ingredients into a tightly closed jar and shake
vigorously to mix.)
In a large bowl, combine the rice, vegetables, and Parmesan cheese, if using.
Pour the dressing over the rice mixture, combining gently and thoroughly.
(You can store the extra chia gel in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.)
Reprinted with permission from Chia: The Complete Guide to the Ultimate Superfood © 2012 by Wayne Coates, PhD, Sterling Publishing Co. Photographs by Bill Milne.