Chia Rice Salad
- Yield servings
Rice salads are a terrific picnic food. They tuck into lunch boxes easily and make the perfect side dish, too. This fun version features classic Mediterranean flavors. Feel free to play with different veggies and herbs if you’d like.
- 1 cup cool water
- 1 3/4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-2 -- cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary or oregano leaves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (long grain, basmati, or short grain)
- 1 small zucchini, julienned
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
To make chia gel: Pour the water into a sealable plastic or glass container. Slowly pour chia seeds in to water while briskly mixing with wire whisk. Wait 3 or 4 minutes then whisk again. Let the mixture stand about 10 minutes before whisking again.
In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup chia gel, oil, lemon, garlic, salt, herbs, and cayenne. Whisk until well-blended. (You can also put ingredients into a tightly closed jar and shake
vigorously to mix.)
In a large bowl, combine the rice, vegetables, and Parmesan cheese, if using.
Pour the dressing over the rice mixture, combining gently and thoroughly.
(You can store the extra chia gel in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.)
Reprinted with permission from Chia: The Complete Guide to the Ultimate Superfood © 2012 by Wayne Coates, PhD, Sterling Publishing Co. Photographs by Bill Milne.