Chia Chipotle Bean Burger
- Yield: servings
- 1cup cool water
- 1 3/4tablespoons chia seeds
- 15ounces black beans
- 2-- cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4cup corn kernels or sautéed or cooked vegetables (alternatively, use frozen corn kernels, defrosted, or vegetables leftover from another meal)
- 1teaspoon canned chipotle in adobo, minced, or 1 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1tablespoon minced cilantro or parsley (optional)
- 1tablespoon virgin coconut oil
To make chia gel: Pour the water into a sealable plastic or glass container. Slowly pour chia seeds in to water while briskly mixing with wire whisk. Wait 3 or 4 minutes then whisk again. Let the mixture stand about 10 minutes before whisking again.
In the bowl of a food processor or high-speed blender (such as a Vitamix or Blendtec), pulse 1/4 chia gel and the other ingredients until blended. Do not over-process; you do not want to liquefy!
Form the mixture into patties.
Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
Cook the patties until golden, about five minutes. Flip and repeat.
Alternate cooking method: Preheat oven to 325°F. Place the patties on a lightly oiled baking sheet and cook until golden, 12 to 15 minutes, turning halfway through cooking.
Serve on hamburger rolls with the condiments of your choice.
(You can store the extra chia gel in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.)
Reprinted with permission from Chia: The Complete Guide to the Ultimate Superfood © 2012 by Wayne Coates, PhD, Sterling Publishing Co. Photographs by Bill Milne.