Cherry Wink Cookies
- Yield 3
These little cookies are the perfect gift for your sweetheart this Valentine's Day
"My family loves these cookies. They keep well and are great for sending to someone in the armed forces or to missionaries."
- 2 1/4 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/3 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 2 1/2 cups crushed corn flakes
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Sift flour, baking powder, soda, and salt together in a bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat shortening, sugar, eggs, milk, and vanilla in another bowl. Add flour mixture and mix well.
- Stir in nuts, dates, and cherries. Shape dough into small balls and roll in corn flakes.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. While warm, top each cookie with one-half maraschino cherry.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Add one-half cup more flour to make heart-shaped cookies, or dough will be too sticky. For best results, try an insulated cookie sheet.
Recipe by Marjorie Ainsworth, Richfield, Utah.