Cherry French Toast
- Yield 6 servings
This French toast with creamy filling was finalist in the "Good Morning America Best Breakfast Challenge" -- from the kitchen of White Gull Inn in Fish Creek, Wis.
- 1 -- (18-ounce) loaf challah bread, unsliced
- 1 -- (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup tart Montmorency cherries, drained
- 3 -- eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- -- Powdered sugar, maple syrup, additional drained cherries and butter (optional)
- Trim ends from loaf and cut bread into 6 (1 1/2-inch) slices. Make a cut three-quarters down the middle of each slice. Bread will appear to have to separate slices, but will be joined together at the bottom. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese and 1 cup of the cherries. Spread mixture evenly in pocket of each slice of bread.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle or large skillet over medium heat.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and milk together. Dip stuffed slices into egg mixture and coat all sides. Place immediately in hot pan and sprinkle with cinnamon. Cook over medium heat until golden brown, turning to cook second side.
- Remove cooked slices from pan and place on a cutting board. Cut each slice diagonally into halves. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and additional cherries and serve with maple syrup and butter if using.