Cherry Coconut Bars
- Yield 24 servings
Coconut, maraschino cherries and walnuts make these dessert bars a star.
"These bars have been a family favorite for nearly 50 years. I was a new mother in December 1959, when a neighbor brought over a plate of these bars along with a baby gift a few days after I arrived home."
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, drained and quartered
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To prepare crust, combine flour, powdered sugar and butter in a medium bowl; mix well. Press into an 8-inch-square baking dish. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly golden.
- To prepare filling, combine all ingredients in a large bowl; mix well. Spoon on top of crust and spread evenly. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.
– Patty Strickland, Waverly, Ohio