Cherry Chocolate Banana Shake
- Yield 3 servings
Chocolate and cherries are a classic combination in this low-fat breakfast smoothie.
Cherries are sweet and in season and this ice cool breakfast shake is a surefire way to wake up feeling refreshed.
- 1/2 cup ice
- 1 banana, peeled
- 10 cherries, pitted
- 1 heaping tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar*
- 1/2 cup rice or soy milk or 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 1/2 cups ice cold water
- 1 teaspoon chocolate-flavored whey protein (optional) **
- Place the ice in a tall blender or pitcher if you’re using a hand mixer. Add the banana, cherries, cocoa, agave nectar, milk, water and whey protein if using. If you are not using the whey protein, double the amount of cocoa and agave.
- If you’re using a blender, pulse briefly until the mixture is somewhat crushed, but not pureed. If you’re using a hand mixer, pulse the mixer in an up and down motion until the ice is smashed and the fruit begins to soften and blend, but the mixture is not liquefied.
- After mixture is blended, cover the cup or pitcher and shake distribute the ice and fruit evenly.
* Agave (ah-Gah-vay) nectar is similar in taste & texture to honey but has a lower impact on blood sugar when compared other sweeteners. Agave can be found in the health food or specialty food aisle of most grocery stores.
**Optional. Found in health food stores. If you are not using the chocolate whey protein, double the cocoa powder and agave nectar in the smoothies.