Cherry Chicken Flambe
- Yield 8 servings
This chicken dish is flavorful and beautiful!
- 4 whole chicken breasts, boned and split
- -- Salt
- -- Pepper
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can sliced pineapple
- 1/3 cup ground cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup (17-ounces) pitted, dark sweet cherries
- 1/3 cup brandy
- Pound each piece of chicken to 1/4-inch thickness. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Dice one slice of pineapple.
- Saute diced pineapple, ham, and onion in 1 tablespoon of margarine until onion is tender. Add crumbs and mix well.
- Place one tablespoon ham mixture on each piece of chicken. Fold over and secure with toothpicks.
- Brown chicken in 3 tablespoons margarine. Add reserved pineapple juice, 1/2 cup broth, soy sauce, and ginger. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Remove to serving dish.
- Add cornstarch, dissolved in remaining 1/4 cup broth, to pan juices. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and translucent.
- Add pineapple and cherries. Heat thoroughly and pour over chicken.
- Warm brandy just before serving. Pour over chicken and ignite.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Owensboro’s To Market, To Market, Home Again, Home Again (Owensboro, Kentucky, 1984).