Cherry Buttermilk Clafoutis
- Yield 6 servings
- Cook 50 minutes
Sweet-tart cherries lend some summer flavor to this beautiful and straightforward clafoutis.
- 1/2 cup natural cane sugar
- 16 ounces sweet cherries, pitted
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons brown rice or all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease a 9-inch pie pan with unsalted butter. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the sugar.
- Arrange the cherries in a single layer on the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, remaining sugar, almond flour, brown rice flour, vanilla, ginger, and salt until smooth. Pour evenly over the fruit.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, until golden brown around the edges and set in the center. Test by inserting a toothpick in the center—if it comes out clean, the clafoutis is ready.
- Allow to cool slightly, then dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve.
Reprinted with permission from Vibrant Food by Kimberley Hasselbrink (Ten Speed Press, © 2014).