Cherry Almond Tart
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3/4cup toasted blanched almonds
- 4tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/2teaspoon almond extract
- 1pound pitted dark sweet cherries, fresh or frozen (thawed and drained)
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry sheet to about 1/8 inch thick. Cut an 11-inch circle from the dough and use it to line a 9-inch removable base tart pan. Chill the tart shell in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Grind the toasted almonds to a fine powder in a food processor. Be careful not to overwork the almonds or they may turn to a paste. Add the butter, 5 tablespoons of sugar, the egg, almond extract, and pulse until evenly blended.
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Remove the crust from the refrigerator and prick the base several times with a fork. Spread the almond mixture over the crust and refrigerate for 15 minutes longer.
- Scatter the cherries evenly over the almond layer and bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar over the tart and continue baking until golden brown, about 5 to 10 minutes. Let the tart cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes, then remove the sides from the tart pan and serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Seattle’s Celebrate the Rain (Junior League of Seattle, Wash., 2004).