Cherry Almond Brown Rice Pudding
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 10 minutes
- Cook 55 minutes
Make extra brown rice to use in this creamy dish that’s equally good for breakfast and dessert.
The velvety texture of this pudding is achieved by baking it in a simple water bath.
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups 1 percent low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup almonds, toasted, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, almond extract and cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl. Beat until well combined (but not foamy.) Stir in rice and cherries. Pour mixture into 1 1/2-quart casserole dish. Place dish in a 2-quart square baking dish or pan on an oven rack. Pour boiling water into the baking dish around the casserole dish to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes, until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Serve warm or room temperature. Garnish with almonds.