Chef Michael Tuohy’s Walnut Pesto
- Yield servings
- 1-3/4 cup toasted walnuts, ground
- 1 tablespoon Shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon Smooth Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil and walnut oil (50/50)
- 1/2 cup grated Fiscallini cheddar
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- -- Kosher salt to taste
- -- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a mortar & pestle, place ground walnuts, Dijon, red wine vinegar, shallots, a pinch of salt and black pepper, cheese.
- Start to slowly pour in the oil mixture while pounding with the pestle. A thick paste should develop that resembles a traditional pesto.
- Add chopped sage, and adjust seasoning to taste.