Chef Jon’s Pizza Crust
- 1package (.25-ounce) package active dry or fresh yeast
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 1cup warm water
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4teaspoons salt
- 2cups bread flower
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, mix yeast, sugar, warm water and oil. Now add salt and flours, stirring with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough (kneading is fun – toss, punch and press ) until smooth and elastic, about 7 minutes.
- Drizzle a little oil in a large bowl and transfer dough to bowl, turning to coat. Cover bowl with kitchen towel. Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours. |
- Punch dough down. Cut into 4 portions, about 6 ounces each. Roll each portion into a ball. (At this point, you can refrigerate dough up to 24 hours).
- Preheat oven to highest setting—550F.
- Roll dough into circles 6 to 8 inches in diameter. Brush with a little oil. Spread some tomato sauce on each pizza and top with a few slices mozzarella cheese and basil.
- Place pizzas on a baking sheet and place in hot oven. Cook 6 to 8 minutes.
Recipe by Chef Jon Ashton.