Chef Jennifer Booker’s Lavender Cake with Fresh Lemon Glaze
- Yield: 12 servings
- 12ounces cake flour
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 2teaspoons dried Lavendar flowers
- 8ounces unsalted butter
- 8ounces Caster sugar
- 1tablespoon Lavendar flowers
- 4medium eggs (beaten)
- 7ounces sour cream
- 1/4cup whole milk
- 3tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1cup confectioners’ sugar
- Oil and flour 2-8inch cake pans. Set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Stir in the Lavender flowers.
- Using the blade attachment of your food processor, grind the Caster sugar and tablespoon of Lavender flowers together until the Lavender flower buds are cut into very small pieces.
- In a separate bowl, place butter and processed Lavender sugar, cream together until light and fluffy.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Mix in one-third of the sifted flour mixture, eggs, and milk at a time-mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in the Lavender flowers.
- Divide the cake batter between the two prepared cake pans and gently tap the sides of the pans to release any air bubbles.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cakes on wire rack for 15minutes and them remove cakes from pans and cool completely.
- While cakes are cooling, make Fresh Lemon Glaze by mixing lemon juice and confectioner’s sugar together until smooth. Add water as needed.
- Drizzle each Lavender Cake with Fresh Lemon Glaze, stack, and garnish with fresh grated lemon zest and Lavender flowers.