Cheesy Wisconsin Chowder
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- Cooking spray
- 3cups diced carrots
- 1cup thinly sliced celery
- 3/4cup chopped green onions
- 4cups peeled red potatoes, cut in 1/2 to 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/3cup flour
- 2cups milk
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2cup dry white wine, optional
- 1/2cup Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar or Bacon cold-pack cheese, broken up
- Coat a deep Dutch oven or stock pot with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high. Add carrots, celery and green onions. Sautee, stirring often, about 8 minutes.
- Add potatoes and chicken broth; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Meanwhile, place flour in a bowl. Gradually add milk, whisking until smooth. Add milk mixture to pan and stir well. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the wine and cook 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the cheese until melted. Serve hot (do not boil).
Recipe courtesy of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board