Cheesy Pizza Fondue
- Yield 6 servings
This velvety dip, made with vitamin A-rich canned tomato sauce, has the flavorful elements of cheese pizza and serves up some good nutrition.
- 2 tablespoons toasted breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 slices pepperoni, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 -- whole-wheat pita breads (each cut in 6 triangles), warm
- Mix breadcrumbs and milk in a small bowl until fully moistened; set aside.
- Combine tomato sauce and pepperoni (if using) in a small saucepan and heat to simmering.
- Stir in breadcrumb-milk mixture and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese(s) until melted. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with warm pita triangles for dipping.