Cheesy Chicken Chowder
- Yield 8 servings
'All three of my grown children have requested this dish after I served it to them one time. I make it to give to folks who aren't feeling well. It's simple to make and doesn't require any fancy ingredients. This is great 'comfort' food.'
- 2 (14-ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups diced, peeled potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat. Add potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour and mix well. Gradually stir in milk and cook over low heat until slightly thickened. Stir in cheese and cook until melted. Add cheese mixture to broth and vegetables along with chicken. Cook and stir over low heat until thoroughly heated. Serves 8.
Recipe by Marsha Baker, Pioneer, Ohio