Cheesy Barley Stuffed Mushrooms
- Yield 6 servings
These mushrooms make a colorful appetizer or a delicious side dish to meat. Shop for hull-less barley, which contains more of the original whole grain components than pearled barley.
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed), chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 green onions, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup cooked barley
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 ounces (½ cup) Fontina cheese (or white Cheddar,) shredded
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 24 mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, fresh grated
- Preheat oven to 350F. Remove stems from caps, reserve caps. Dice stems.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; sauté 10 minutes until liquid evaporates. In a bowl, combine mushroom mixture, tomatoes, barley, oregano, and cheese. Spoon mixture evenly into mushroom caps.
- Place mushroom caps on baking sheet. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake 20 minutes or until tender. Makes 24.