Cheese Tortellini Soup with White Beans, Kielbasa, and Spinach
- Yield 6 servings
A quick dinner idea for those busy weeknights, just add a crisp green salad and rolls to complete this meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces thinly sliced, fully cooked, smoked kielbasa sausage
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 5 (14 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 (15-ounce) can white cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (9-ounce) packdage fresh tortellini
- 1/2 bunch fresh spinach, rinsed, dried, and tough stems removed
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or other large pot over medium-high heat. Add the kielbasa, onion, garlic, thyme, and red pepper flakes and saute until browned, about 12 minutes (if the garlic seems to be getting too brown, reduce the heat to medium to avoid burning it).
- Add the broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the beans and tortellini to the soup. Simmer until the pasta is just tender to the bite, about 10 minutes. Stir the spinach into the soup and turn off the heat; let stand for about 2 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese before serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Seattle’s Celebrate the Rain (Junior League of Seattle, Wash., 2004).