Cheese Stuffed Pretzel
- Yield: 8 pieces
- Prep: 1 hour
- Cook: 12 minutes
- 1 1/2cups warm water
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 2teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 1/2teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 1/2tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 1cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- For Boiling:
- 1 pot water
- 2/3cup baking soda
- For Baking:
- 1 egg yolk + 1 tablespoon water, whisked together (for egg wash)
- Coarse salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 450F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and grease with oil.
- Combine water and sugar in a standing mixing bowl. Sprinkle yeast on top and let sit for 10 minutes. Add butter and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Slowly add in liquid mixture. Using a dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until ingredients are well combined. Increase mixer speed to medium and knead until dough is smooth, about 4-5 minutes.
- Place dough in oiled bowl. Cover with kitchen towel and place in warm area until dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- Place dough on oiled counter. Divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into 24-inch rope, then flatten. Sprinkle with cheese down the center, then pinch sides to close.
- Hold ends of rope in each hand, making a U-shape. Cross ends over one another and lay flat. Twist ends and press onto bottom of U-shape to form pretzel.
- Combine water and baking soda and bring to a boil. Drop each pretzel in boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Place boiled pretzels onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush each pretzel with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake 12 minutes, until dark golden brown.