Cheese Grits with Caramelized Vidalias and Country Ham
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1medium Vidalia onion, diced, about 1 1/2 cups
- 4tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 1/4ounces country ham or salt-cured ham, about 1 slice, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2cups water
- 1cup milk
- 1cup stone ground grits
- 2cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2teaspoon pepper
- In a 10-inch sauté pan set over medium-low heat melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add onions and cook until caramelized, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes. Remove onions from pan and set aside. Put country ham in the same pan and cook until it begins to brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Bring water and milk to a boil. Whisk grits into the boiling water, reduce heat to low and simmer 12 minutes. Add cheese; stir until melted. Fold in caramelized onions and ham. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of the Vidalia Onion Committee