Cheese Grits with Caramelized Vidalias and Country Ham
- Yield 4 servings
Cheese grits, vidalia onions and country ham unite in this delicious dish.
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, diced, about 1 1/2 cups
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 1/4 ounces country ham or salt-cured ham, about 1 slice, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup stone ground grits
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a 10-inch sauté pan set over medium-low heat melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add onions and cook until caramelized, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes. Remove onions from pan and set aside. Put country ham in the same pan and cook until it begins to brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Bring water and milk to a boil. Whisk grits into the boiling water, reduce heat to low and simmer 12 minutes. Add cheese; stir until melted. Fold in caramelized onions and ham. Serve immediately.