“Cheese Cakes” with Raspberry Jam
- Yield: 20 servings
- Cook: 20 - 30 minutes
"These are favourites of mine. Don't be stingy with the jam, but put it in the centre so it doesn't creep up the sides. Dust with a wee bit of icing (powdered) sugar when they're cooked, but don't be too heavy-handed about it." —Dulcie May Booker of New Zealand
- 2 to 3sheets flaky pastry
- Raspberry jam
- 4ounces butter
- 4ounces caster (powdered) sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5ounces plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- Line about 20 patty (muffin) tins with pastry. Put a teaspoon of jam at the bottom of each.
- Mix together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in sifted flour and baking powder until combined.
- Put a large spoonful of cake mixture on top of the jam. Place a small piece of crossed pastry on top of the cake mixture.
- Bake about 20 minutes at 400F.
—Recipe reprinted with permission from Gran’s Kitchen: Recipes from the Notebooks of Dulcie May Booker (Hardie Grant, 2013).