“Cheese Cakes” with Raspberry Jam
- Yield 20 servings
- Cook 20 - 30 minutes
Heavenly cheese cakes—but not the kind you think.
"These are favourites of mine. Don't be stingy with the jam, but put it in the centre so it doesn't creep up the sides. Dust with a wee bit of icing (powdered) sugar when they're cooked, but don't be too heavy-handed about it." —Dulcie May Booker of New Zealand
- 2 to 3 sheets flaky pastry
- Raspberry jam
- 4 ounces butter
- 4 ounces caster (powdered) sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5 ounces plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Line about 20 patty (muffin) tins with pastry. Put a teaspoon of jam at the bottom of each.
- Mix together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in sifted flour and baking powder until combined.
- Put a large spoonful of cake mixture on top of the jam. Place a small piece of crossed pastry on top of the cake mixture.
- Bake about 20 minutes at 400F.
—Recipe reprinted with permission from Gran’s Kitchen: Recipes from the Notebooks of Dulcie May Booker (Hardie Grant, 2013).