Cheese and Zucchini Stuffed Manicotti
- Yield 8 servings
When summer squash and tomatoes are in full swing, make this kid-friendly pasta dish.
- Tomato Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 12 cups crushed fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups finely chopped zucchini squash
- 32 ounces whole-milk ricotta
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Chopped fresh basil, mint and oregano
- 1 (8-ounce) package manicotti shells (14 shells), cooked until al dente and drained
- To make sauce, heat oil in a large Dutch oven. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt and sugar; simmer over medium-low heat 1 to 2 hours, until thickened. Add remaining ingredients and cook 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add squash and sauté until browned, about 7 minutes. Combine ricotta, egg, salt, cheese and herbs. Stir in squash. Stuff manicotti with squash mixture. Place in baking pan and cover with 3 cups sauce. (You’ll have sauce left over.) Bake 30 minutes.