Cheddar Waffles with Green Tomato Chow Chow
- Yield 7 servings
- 6 egg whites
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- Chow chow:
- 4 green tomatoes
- 1 Spanish onion
- 1/4 head celery
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
For the Chow Chow:
- Dice green tomato, onion, and celery into small pieces. Mix together, add salt and allow mixture to sweat in perforated container overnight. Remove water from drippings on the following day.
- Combine vegetable mixture with vinegar, sugar, mustard, mustard seed, celery seed, gound coriander and turmeric in a pot and bring to a low simmer. Cook and reduce until the liquid becomes sticky and syrupy. Remove and chill until needed.
For the Waffles:
- In a two mixing bowls whisk egg yolks and whites separately. While whisking the yolks, add half of sugar and whisk until creamy and fluffy. While whisking the egg whites add half the amount of sugar and whisk until just fluffy at soft peak. Add yolk mixture to egg whites and whisk to combine.
- Add flour and baking powder to eggs and fold in until fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl mix cheese, oil, chow chow (save some for topping), diced shallots, and chives. Combine this mixture with egg and flour mixture and incorporate well.
- Pour batter over greased waffle iron then cook according to the waffle makers instructions.
- Serve with a sprinkling of cheese, a spoon full of chow chow and a drizzling of maple syrup.
—Yardbird Southern Table & Bar, Miami Beach, Florida