Cheddar Cheese Soup
- Yield 8 servings
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cooked ham
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons starch
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 to 1 1/2 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 3 ounce can chopped mushrooms, drained (optional)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
- Melt butter in a large stockpot; add carrots, celery, onion and green pepper. Cook over medium heat about 10 minutes until vegetables are crisp-tender but not brown. Stir in ham.
- Add flour and cornstarch, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Add broth and cook, stirring constantly until soup thickens slightly. Add milk, mustard, paprika, cayenne, cheese, salt, pepper, and mushrooms if using, still stirring, until soup is heated through and thick. Do not boil.
Recipe by Diane Hampton, Gaylord, Mich.