Charred Zucchini Salsa Verde
- Yield 20 servings
In this riff on the tart tomatillo salsa, zucchini, onions and peppers are blackened on the grill, then seasoned with lime juice, cayenne and a touch of honey.
This hot sauce is perfect for barbeques and ideal for topping your favorite tacos, bean burgers or sandwiches.
- -- Canola oil, to prepare the vegetables
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise
- 1/2 -- sweet onion, cut into wedges
- 4 -- tomatillos, paper skin removed and halved
- 4 large jalapeños peppers, halved with seeds and pulp removed
- 2 large poblano peppers, halved with seeds and pulp removed
- -- Zest and juice from 2 limes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce
- -- Honey
- Lightly spray zucchini, onion, tomatillos, jalapeños and poblanos with canola oil. Place over a hot grill for 5 to 7 minutes, flip and cook another 5 to 7 minutes, or until the vegetable skins begin to char and vegetables are cooked through.
- Place charred zucchini, onion, tomatillos, jalapeños, poblanos, lime juice and zest, salt and cayenne pepper in a food processor. Process until very smooth.
- Taste and add honey if desired. Best served at room temperature.
Recipe by Donna of Fab Frugal Food.