Char Siu Turkey Breast Salad
- Yield 4 servings
This Asian-inspired salad features turkey, fresh ginger and mandarin oranges, topped with spiced pecans and wonton crisps.
- Ginger Spiced Mandarin Oranges:
- 8 ounces Mandarin orange segments, drained
- 2 ounces fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
- 4 ounces Rose's lime juice
- Spiced Pecans:
- 1/2 ounce white sugar
- 1/4 ounce kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Chinese 5-Spice
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- -- Oil for deep frying
- Char Siu Turkey Breast
- 4 ounces sugar
- 1 ounce kosher salt
- 1 ounce Chinese 5-Spice
- 1 ounce cold water
- 1 pound turkey breast, boneless
- -- Won ton wrappers
- 1 pound romaine lettuce, chopped
- To prepare the oranges, combine all ingredients. Cover and marinate overnight.
- To prepare the spice pecans, combine sugar, salt and spices.
- Deep fry pecans. Drain and immediately toss in sugar mixture while pecans are hot. Spread out into a shallow metal pan to drain and cool. Cover and reserve for service.
- To prepare the turkey, mix sugar, salt, 5-spice, and water until a paste is formed. Liberally coat turkey breast with the mixture.
- Smoke in a preheated 250F smoker oven for 2 hours or until the internal temperature registers 165F.
- Trim and thinly slice turkey breast. Cover, chill and reserve for service.
- Slice won ton wrappers and deep fry until crispy. Drain and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Per salad, on a chilled plate or in a chilled salad bowl, place 4 ounces sliced turkey breast atop 4 ounces crisp romaine lettuce. Arrange salads with ginger spiced oranges and spiced pecans. Garnish with won ton crisps.
Chef: Executive Chef Nando Belmonte, Islands Dining Room, Loews Royal Pacific Resort, Orlando, Fla.