Champagne Brunch Casserole
- Yield: 10 to 12 servings
"'I make this for weekends at the lake, holiday brunches, and for special treats at work. I keep the recipe on my computer, as I am always asked for a copy!"
- 3tablespoons butter
- 4 green onions, chopped (white and green parts)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4cup Champagne or white wine
- 1/8teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2cup sour cream
- 10 eggs, beaten
- 5cups cubed day-old French bread
- 1/4cup butter, melted
- 2cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 12ounces ham, cubed
- To prepare sauce, melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add green onions and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add flour; mix well. Stir in broth, Champagne, nutmeg, mustard and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and whisk in sour cream.
- Place eggs in a medium bowl. Add a small amount of the hot mixture to eggs. Beat egg mixture into sauce; blend well.
- Grease a 13-x-9-inch baking dish.
- To prepare filling, arrange bread cubes in bottom of baking dish. Pour melted butter over bread cubes and top with cheese and ham. Pour egg mixture over top. Cover casserole with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Uncover casserole and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serves 10 to 12.
Recipe by Ashley Murphy, Hastings, Neb.