St. Patrick’s Day Champ
- Yield: 6 cups
Serve these mashed potatoes for dinner, then fry them up as “cakes” for breakfast the next morning.
- 3pounds russet or Yukon gold potatoes, about 8 medium
- 1teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 green onions
- 3/4cup whole milk
- 4tablespoons salted butter, plus additional for serving
- Peel potatoes, cut into large chucks, and place in a medium pan. Cover with water and add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain potatoes well. Return to pot and let potatoes dry for a couple of minutes. (This will make the mashed potatoes lighter and fluffier.)
- Finely chop green onions. Place in a small saucepan. Add milk and simmer 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add butter and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt to potatoes and mash with a potato masher or fork. Gradually add hot milk and green onions, beating with a wooden spoon until smooth and creamy. Place in a warm serving bowl and top with a knob (a couple of tablespoons) of butter. Makes 6 cups.
Recipe by Diane Stopford.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 110
- Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 10mg
- Sodium 230mg
- Carbohydrate 17g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 2g