Celery Root Bisque
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 20 mins
Celery root and shallots star in this creamy soup.
An immersion blender makes quick work of puréeing this soup right in the pan.
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 cups coarsely chopped, peeled celery root (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups chopped celery (about 4 ribs)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add celery root, shallots, celery, salt and pepper; cook until celery root is slightly browned. Add water and bring to boil. Cook, uncovered, until celery root is very tender.
- Working in batches, transfer the soup to a blender and purée. Return to pan and stir in lemon juice and cream, if using. Garnish each serving with green onions. Makes 9 cups. Serves 8.
Recipe courtesy of Maggie Zaccara, Hope & Olive Restaurant, Greenfield, Mass.