Cedar Chicken with Blue Cheese Slaw
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 4 -- boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, 5 to 6 ounces each
- Barbecued Blue Cheese Slaw:
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons prepared barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 3/4 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 24 medium thin slices baguette bread, cut on an angle
- 1 -- lime, cut into wedges
- 24 -- cilantro leaves
- -- Cilantro and lime, for garnishing platter
Soak a large food-safe (untreated) cedar plank in water for 40 to 60 minutes. While it soaks, to make the marinade, in a medium bowl whisk together the cider vinegar, lime juice, mustard, tomato sauce, brown sugar, garlic and chipotle until blended. Place in a food-safe plastic bag along with the chicken breast halves and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
To make the slaw, in a large bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, barbecue sauce, vinegar, mustard, blue cheese and salt. Toss in the green cabbage, red cabbage, carrot, onion and minced cilantro. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Remove plank from the soaking water and place in a large roasting pan along with the chicken broth. Brush olive oil over the top of the plank. Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt and arrange on the plank. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, turning occasionally.
During the last few minutes of chicken cooking, place the bread slices on a large baking sheet and bake in the oven until lightly toasted, turning once.
Cool the chicken slightly and coarsely shred with two forks. To assemble the crostini, place the toasted bread slices on a large platter. Top each with an equal amount of the slaw and shredded chicken. Squeeze a small amount of lime juice on top of each crostini. Garnish tops with cilantro leaves. Garnish platter with cilantro and lime.
Makes 6 to 8 servings