Cedar Chicken with Blue Cheese Slaw
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 1/2teaspoons grated fresh garlic
- 1/4teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 4-- boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, 5 to 6 ounces each
- Barbecued Blue Cheese Slaw:
- 3tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3tablespoons prepared barbecue sauce
- 1teaspoon cider vinegar
- 2teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1/4cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 3/4cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1/4cup finely shredded carrot
- 1/4cup diced red onion
- 1 1/2tablespoons minced cilantro
- 3/4cup chicken broth
- 2teaspoons olive oil
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 24medium thin slices baguette bread, cut on an angle
- 1-- lime, cut into wedges
- 24-- cilantro leaves
- -- Cilantro and lime, for garnishing platter
Soak a large food-safe (untreated) cedar plank in water for 40 to 60 minutes. While it soaks, to make the marinade, in a medium bowl whisk together the cider vinegar, lime juice, mustard, tomato sauce, brown sugar, garlic and chipotle until blended. Place in a food-safe plastic bag along with the chicken breast halves and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
To make the slaw, in a large bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, barbecue sauce, vinegar, mustard, blue cheese and salt. Toss in the green cabbage, red cabbage, carrot, onion and minced cilantro. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Remove plank from the soaking water and place in a large roasting pan along with the chicken broth. Brush olive oil over the top of the plank. Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt and arrange on the plank. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, turning occasionally.
During the last few minutes of chicken cooking, place the bread slices on a large baking sheet and bake in the oven until lightly toasted, turning once.
Cool the chicken slightly and coarsely shred with two forks. To assemble the crostini, place the toasted bread slices on a large platter. Top each with an equal amount of the slaw and shredded chicken. Squeeze a small amount of lime juice on top of each crostini. Garnish tops with cilantro leaves. Garnish platter with cilantro and lime.
Makes 6 to 8 servings