Caveman T-Bones with Hellfire Hot Sauce
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
- 6 (10 to 12 ounce) T-bone steaks, cut about 1 inch thick40
- 1/8teaspoon Coarse salt (kosher or sea)
- 1/8teaspoon Cracked black pepper
- 1/2cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced crosswise
- 6cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2cup fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- To grill steaks, build a charcoal fire and rake coals into an even layer. When coals glow orange, fan with a newspaper to blow off any loose ash.
- Generously season steaks on both sides with salt and pepper. Place steaks directly on embers about 2 inches apart. Grill until cooked to taste, 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare, turning with tongs.
- Using tongs, lift steaks out of fire, shaking to dislodge any embers. Using a basting brush, brush off any loose ash and arrange steaks on a platter. Let steaks rest loosely tented with aluminum foil.
- To make sauce, heat olive oil in a cast-iron skillet directly on embers, on side burner of a gas grill or on stove. When oil is very hot, add jalapeños, garlic and cilantro. Cook over high heat until sauce is aromatic and garlic is lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Immediately pour sauce over steaks and serve at once.
Recipe by Steven Raichlen.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Glycemic Load 0
- Fat 45g
- Saturated Fat 11g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 3.5g
- Monounsaturated Fat 28g
- Cholesterol 100mg
- Sodium 170mg
- Potassium 550mg
- Carbohydrate 3g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugars 1g
- Protein 47g
- Trans Fat 0.5g
- Vitamin A 8%
- Vitamin C 45%
- Calcium 6%
- Iron 25%