- Yield: 6 servings
- 1large head cauliflower
- 1/3cup butter
- 2tablespoons flour
- 1cup milk
- 3-- egg yolks
- 3-- egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1/4cup grated Parmesan cheese
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- Steam cauliflower in steamer until tender. Separate into florets, discarding stem.
- Arrange florets in 2-quart souffle dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in flour and milk gradually. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; stir egg yolks into hot mixture. Cool.
- Fold egg whites and cheese into egg mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over cauliflower.
- Bake at 350F for 30 to 45 minutes or until souffle tests done. May cover loosely with foil to prevent excess browning.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Wheeling’sThe Best of Wheeling (Wheeling, West Virginia, 1994).