Cauliflower and Wisconsin Aged Cheddar Soup
- Yield 8 servings
Cauliflower and cheese unite to create a this delicious soup.
- For the Soup:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -- leek, white part only, medium dice
- 1 -- bay leaf, halved
- 2 heads cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 cup Chardonnay wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cups (10-ounces) Wisconsin Aged Cheddar, shredded
- For the Garnish:
- -- Olive oil for sauteing
- 4 slices firm bread of your choice, crusts removed and cubed for croutons
- To prepare the Soup: Heat olive oil in heavy stockpot and add the diced leek. Sauté until translucent and flexible and the leek releases its sugars. Add bay leaf halves and the cauliflower florets. Stir until cauliflower releases juices. Add the wine and reduce liquid by half or three-fourths. Stir in chicken stock and bring to boil. Continue to boil until cauliflower is tender. Add heavy cream and bring back to boil. Remove from heat. Remove and discard bay leaf halves. Blend soup to a fine texture.
- Return to stove over low heat. Gradually add shredded Cheddar, whisking until fully incorporated.
- To prepare the Garnish: Heat small amount of olive oil in a heavy skillet. Add the bread cubes and sauté until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Ladle the hot soup into serving bowls and divide croutons evenly to garnish.