Cauldron Beer Cheese Fondue
- Yield 4 servings
Serve this cheesy fondue with breadsticks for a tasty appetizer or snack.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup Oktoberfest or amber beer
- 1 1/2 cups (6-ounces) Wisconsin Smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups (6-ounces) Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour to thicken, taking care not to burn, and then gradually whisk in milk until mixture is semi-thick and smooth. Continue whisking while adding beer. Next, gradually whisk in cheeses allowing each addition of cheese to melt before adding the next. Once cheese is melted, whisk in mustard, Worcestershire and cayenne. Add salt and pepper to taste to bring out flavors.
- Serve warm with thin Italian breadsticks and slices of French baguette for dipping. Stick breadsticks into the sliced bread to create “broomsticks.”