Catfish and Shrimp Soup
- Yield 8 servings
Prep time for this soup is just over an hour. A warm loaf of crusty bread goes great along side.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 ounce) tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 -- (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1/2 pound shelled medium shrimp
- 2 -- catfish fillets cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- -- Coriander or parsley for garnish
- -- Lemon slices for garnish
- In large soup pan, heat oil. Sauté onion and garlic until onions are transparent. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and bay leaf. Cover and simmer 25 minutes.
- Add water, wine, and clam juice. Simmer uncovered 45 minutes.
- Add shrimp, catfish, salt, and pepper. Cook 10 minutes or until catfish flakes easily.
- Remove bay leaf. Garnish each serving with chopped coriander and lemon wedges.