- Yield 8 to 10 servings
"I got this recipe for Cassoulet from my sister-in-law years ago. Makes a lot of soup, is delicious and freezes well. Great for cold evening dinner with french bread and dessert."
- 1 cup dried navy beans (see note below)
- 1 cup dried kidney beans
- 1 cup dried great Northern beans
- 2 quarts water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Bouquet Garni or other non-salt herb blend
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, mashed
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage, cooked, drained, and crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock granules
- Tabasco, to taste
- Place the dried beans in a large stockpot, and cover with the water. Add the Bouquet Garni and thyme, and simmer for 1 hour. Add the tomatoes, sausage, ham, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, chicken stock granules, and Tabasco. Simmer for 1 to 2 hours, until the vegetables and beans are tender.
Note: Substitute 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans of beans of each of the dried varieties listed above. Add the remaining ingredients, and simmer for 1 to 2 hours.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen:
The classic recipe for this French bean dish requires many more hours of preparation. This short-cut version is delicious and easy to make.
Recipe by Edna Harter, Mohave Valley, Ariz.