Carrot Walnut Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- Yield 24 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 25 mins
Satisfy everyone's sweet tooth this Easter holiday with delightful, delicious cupcakes. Unfrosted, these moist cupcakes are perfect for breakfast on the run or a lunch-box treat.
- 2-1/2 cup grated carrot (about 2 whole carrots)
- 1-1/2 cup California walnut pieces
- 1 cup diced pineapple, fresh or canned
- 2 cups flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup soft unsalted butter
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 lemons, zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, combine carrot, walnuts, pineapple and 1/2 cup flour. Mix and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift the remaining flour and combine with cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and sugar and whip with a hand mixer until just combined, then slowly add the vegetable oil, while whipping, until emulsified.
- Fold the flour mixture into the egg batter until well combined, then stir in the carrot, walnut and pineapple mix.
- Line cupcake tins with liners and fill with batter, filling about three-quarters full. Bake for 20 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Transfer to rack; let cool.
Lemon Buttercream Frosting:
- Combine the butter, sugar, lemon juice and zest and vanilla in a stand mixer and whip until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
Tip: This recipe works well as a cake. Simply pour batter into a round 10-inch cake pan and place in a 350F oven for 1 hour or until cake tester inserted into centre comes out clean. Transfer to rack; let cool and cover with frosting (same amount as used for the cupcakes).
*Optional Easter Garnish:
Shredded Wheat Nests with California Walnut Marzipan Eggs
2 large pieces shredded wheat
3 tbsp golden corn syrup
1 tbsp butter
4 oz marzipan or almond paste
2 tbsp ground California walnuts
- Break the shredded wheat into small pieces in a bowl and set aside.
- In a small pan over low heat, add syrup and butter. Cook until butter is melted. Pour onto the shredded wheat and mix to coat. Let cool until warm enough to form into 1-inch nests.
- Knead marzipan with ground walnuts until well mixed. Divide the marzipan into three parts and add desired food colouring. Form into small eggs. Rest eggs in nests and place gently atop cupcakes.