- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 1/2pounds carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1medium potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1cup half-and-half
- 1/4cup heavy cream
- 1teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 10sprigs thyme
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine carrots, potato, onion, garlic, half-and-half, cream, nutmeg and salt in a large mixing bowl. Toss well to combine. Transfer to a 6-cup casserole or other ovenproof baking dish. Top carrot mixture with fresh thyme. Cover with a tight fitting lid or aluminum foil.
- Bake about 1 hour, or until liquid is absorbed. Remove lid and continue baking 10 minutes to allow the gratin to brown. Gratin is done when the liquid has been absorbed and the top is a golden color. Let stand 10 to 30 minutes and remove thyme sprigs before serving.
Recipe by Chef Eric Skokan, Black Cat Farm Table Bistro, Boulder, Colo.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 165
- Fat 9g
- Cholesterol 29mg
- Sodium 286mg
- Carbohydrate 20g
- Fiber 3.5g
- Protein 3g