- Yield 6 servings
Carrots star in a simple, do-ahead side dish from the Black Cat Farm Table Bistro.
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 sprigs thyme
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine carrots, potato, onion, garlic, half-and-half, cream, nutmeg and salt in a large mixing bowl. Toss well to combine. Transfer to a 6-cup casserole or other ovenproof baking dish. Top carrot mixture with fresh thyme. Cover with a tight fitting lid or aluminum foil.
- Bake about 1 hour, or until liquid is absorbed. Remove lid and continue baking 10 minutes to allow the gratin to brown. Gratin is done when the liquid has been absorbed and the top is a golden color. Let stand 10 to 30 minutes and remove thyme sprigs before serving.
Recipe by Chef Eric Skokan, Black Cat Farm Table Bistro, Boulder, Colo.