Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Topping
- Yield 12 servings
Soy flour and tofu make this moist cake even moister.
A creamy tofu-enhanced topping that is spooned over the individual slices of cake.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup soy flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces silken soft tofu
- 1 pound carrots, finely shredded (about 4 cups)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- Cream Cheese Topping:
- 4 ounces soft silken tofu
- 6 ounces light cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Coat a 9-inch tube pan with oil and sprinkle with flour. Combine all-purpose flour, soy flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- Place tofu in a blender, process until smooth. In a large bowl combine blended tofu, carrots, soy oil, brown sugar, orange juice concentrate and vanilla. Add flour mixture to the carrot mixture. Stir until combined. Stir in walnuts and raisins. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake cake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool. To prepare topping, combine tofu, cream cheese, honey and lemon juice in blender or food processor, process until smooth. Serve with cake.
Recipe courtesy of The Soyfoods Council