Carrot Cake in Three Layers
- Yield 16 servings
An incredibly moist and delicious three layer carrot cake with pineapple, pecans and coconut, and Cream Cheese Frosting. Best carrot cake ever!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 (8-ounce) package reduced fat cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (16-ounce) box confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray three 9-inch round pans with nonstick baking spray.
- Combine flour, baking soda and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together eggs, egg white, oil, sugar, buttermilk, and vanilla. Gradually spoon in flour mixture until combined. Stir in carrots, coconut, pineapple and pecans, and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Spread batter evenly across three prepared pans. Bake 20-25 minutes. Tops of cake should spring back when touched. Cool 10 minutes and turn cakes onto a cooling rack.
- Beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Toss in orange rind and vanilla, and delicately add in confectioners sugar until texture becomes creamy.
- Frost each cake layer, as well as the sides and top.