Carolina’s Shrimp and Grits
- Yield 1 servings
Try this delicious sauted shrimp served over fried grit cakes.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 ounce sliced yellow onion
- 1 ounce thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 4 (16- to 20- count) shrimp
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (2-ounce) Grit Cake
- 1/8 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- Melt the butter in a saute pan over high heat. Add the onion and prosciutto. Saute until light brown. Add the wine, stirring to deglaze the pan. Add the shrimp. Cook until the wine is reduced. Add the whipping cream and Parmesan cheese. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly and being careful to not overcook the shrimp. Spoon over the Grit Cake. Sprinkle with the parsley.
- To prepare Grit Cake: Cook grits using package directions. Pour into a greased pan. Chill until firm. Cut into desired shapes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Wilmington’s Seaboard to Sideboard (the Junior League of Wilmington, North Carolina, 1998).