Carolina Turkey Pie
- Yield 8 servings
This is a great recipe to use for the leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
- 1 -- (10-ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 2 cups turkey broth
- 3/4 cup self-rising corn meal
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups milk or buttermilk
- 1/2 cup melted margarine
- 4 cups chopped cooked turkey
- Bring the celery soup and broth to a boil in a saucepan. Combine the cornmeal, self-rising flour, poultry seasoning, pepper and sage in a bowl and mix well. Stir in the onion. Add the buttermilk and margarine and mix well. Place the turkey in a greased 9×13-inch baking dish Pour the broth mixture over the turkey. Spread the cornmeal mixture over the top. Bake at 425F for 25 minutes or until brown.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Wilmington’s Seaboard to Sideboard (the Junior League of Wilmington, North Carolina, 1998).