Carolina Crab Cakes
- Yield 3 to 4 servings
Crab cakes can be prepared in advance for convenience. After browning, store them on a parchment-lined tray and refrigerate them until time to bake.
- 2 pounds pasteurized jumbo lump crab meat
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup Japanese-style bread crumbs, or as needed to bind the crab cakes
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons mild olive oil or butter
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Pick through the crab meat to remove any bits of shell. Combine with the eggs, bread crumbs and chives in a medium bowl. Add the lemon juice, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, whole grain mustard, Old Bay seasoning, salt and pepper; mix well with a wooden spoon or gloved hands.
- Shape tightly into balls and flatten gently to form cakes, placing on a baking parchment-lined pan sprinkled with additional bread crumbs.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the crab cakes in batches of 4 or 5 and cook until golden brown on the bottom. Turn the cakes and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Remove to a baking pan lined with baking parchment or sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Serve immediately. Makes 6 to 8 cakes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Biltmore Company, Biltmore, Our Table to Yours, Chef’s Selection Cookbook (The Biltmore Company, 2007).