Chicken Breasts with Butter Beans
- Yield 4 servings
Butter beans are used to make both a salad-type topping for great flavor and color and a velvety puree for serving underneath the chicken strips.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen butter beans (or baby lima beans)
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced country ham
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 large fresh lemon, juiced and zested
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large shallot, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 4 -- boneless skinless split chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- -- Optional garnish: fresh lemon slices and chopped flat leaf parsley
- Prepare beans according to package directions; drain well, keeping warm. With a slotted spoon remove 1/2 cup of the cooked beans to a small mixing bowl; add red bell pepper, country ham, vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon each black and red pepper flakes, tossing gently to blend; reserve.
- Place the remaining beans in a food processor with lemon juice (reserve zest for later use), buttermilk, shallot, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper; process until smooth. Remove from food processor to a small saucepan and place over very low heat to keep warm, stirring occasionally.
- Mix together flour and lemon-pepper seasoning until well blended; dust both sides of chicken lightly and evenly with mixture.
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet placed over medium-high heat; cook chicken for about 10-12 minutes, turning once, or until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Transfer chicken to a cutting board; let rest for about 5 minutes, then cut each chicken breast into crosswise strips.
- To serve, divide warm bean puree among 4 shallow serving bowls; top with sliced chicken and the butter bean-ham mixture, dividing equally. Sprinkle with reserved lemon zest and garnish with fresh lemon slices and flat-leaf parsley, if desired.