Caribbean-Style Banana Bread
- Yield: 16 servings
- 2cups flour
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup butter, softened
- 1/2cup packed brown sugar
- 2-- eggs, lightly beaten
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1cup mashed bananas
- 1/2cup chopped macadamias
- 8ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1-- egg
- 1/4cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2cup flaked or shredded coconut
- Grease the bottoms and 1/2 inch up the sides of 2 loaf pans. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together.
- Cream the butter at high speed in a mixing bowl for 30 seconds. Add 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 eggs and the vanilla and beat until smooth. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the bananas, beating at low speed until smooth after each addition. Stir in the macadamias.
- Combine the cream cheese, 1 egg and 1/4 cup brown sugar in a mixing bowl and beat at medium speed until nearly smooth. Stir in the coconut.
- Spoon 1/4 of the banana batter into each loaf pan. Spread 1/4 of the cream cheese mixture over the batter in each pan and cut through with a spatula to swirl. Repeat with the remaining batter and cream cheese mixture, but do not cut through to swirl.
- Bake at 350F for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center of the loaves comes out clean. Cool in the loaf pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove to the wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of the Emerald Coast’s Beach Appetit (The Junior League of the Emerald Coast, Inc., 2004).