Caribbean Jerk-Fig Sauce with Chicken
- Yield 6 servings
Baked chicken breasts rest on a bed of cabbage slaw featuring California Calimyrna figs, then all is topped with a spicy Caribbean Jerk-Fig Sauce.
- Caribbean Jerk-Fig Sauce:
- 4 ounces dried California Mission figs; stemmed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons Habanero chile sauce or 2 fresh Habanero chiles, chopped
- 8 -- garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions; white part only, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 whole garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Chicken Breasts:
- 4 -- boneless chicken breasts with skin on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cabbage Slaw:
- 2 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 -- ripe mango, diced or sliced
- 2 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
- 4 -- fresh or dried California Calimyrna figs
- 1 -- red bell pepper; stems and seeds removed, cut in thin strips
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- -- Pinch of salt
- -- Pinch of pepper
- 6 -- fresh or dried California Calimyrna figs, sliced for garnish
- To prepare Caribbean Jerk-Fig Sauce. In a saucepan, combine chopped figs, Habanero sauce or chiles, chopped garlic, chopped green onions, fresh thyme leaves, brown sugar, vinegar and water. Heat to a boil, and simmer for about 20 minutes, until figs are soft. Set aside to cool. Transfer ingredients along with about 1/2 cup liquid to food processor. Add olive oil and seasonings and process until smooth to make a thick sauce. Store in refrigerator until needed.
- To prepare chicken breasts. Preheat oven to 350F. In large ovenproof skillet, heat olive oil until hot. Sear skin side of chicken breasts until lightly browned; turn and sear remaining side. Turn skin side up and brush, liberally with Caribbean Jerk-Fig Sauce. Bake at 350F for 25 to 30 minutes, until done 165F internal temperature.
- To prepare Cabbage Slaw. Combine all ingredients for cabbage slaw, and toss to mix together well. Divided among 4 individual serving plates. Slice each chicken breast into 1/2-inch slices; divide and arrange on top of cabbage slaw, spooning a dollop of Caribbean Jerk-Fig Sauce over each. Garnish with sliced figs.
Recipe courtesy of the California Fig Advisory Board.