Caribbean Chocolate Rum Balls
- Yield 2 dozen
These rum balls are great served with a hot cup of coffee.
- 1 -- (6-ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate pieces
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- -- Corn syrup, if needed
- 2 cups vanilla wafers, crushed
- 1/3 cup Jamaica rum
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chocolate, ground
- Melt semi-sweet chocolate pieces over hot, not boiling water. Add sour cream and salt. Stir until smooth. Let stand in the refrigerator overnight. Remove this mixture from refrigerator and form into little balls and size of seedless grapes. If necessary add just enough corn syrup to make molding easy. Mix together the crushed vanilla wafters, rum, butter, powdered sugar, nuts and salt. Pour this mixture over the small balls making them about the size of large walnuts. Roll them in the ground chocolate and keep in a tightly covered jar. They will improve with storage. Will keep in the refrigerator for weeks.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Tulsa’s Cook’s Collage(Tulsa, Oklahoma, 1978).