- Yield 6 servings
Dress up these jerk-flavored beef burgers with a honey-pineapple chutney.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 -- ripe fresh pineapple, peeled and chopped
- 2 large onions, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup diced red bell peppers
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 teaspoons Jamaican jerk seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 -- sandwich rolls or buns, toasted
- -- Butter lettuce leaves
- To prepare the honey pineapple chutney: In a heavy, medium saucepan, heat oil over high heat. Add pineapple and onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium high and add honey, vinegar, orange peel, ginger and allspice; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bell peppers and cook for 10 minutes more; let cool. Makes about 3 cups.
- In a medium bowl, stir together ground beef, 1/2 cup honey pineapple chutney, jerk seasoning and pepper. Shape into 6 large flat patties. Grill over medium coals for 5 to 8 minutes per side. Serve on toasted buns topped with lettuce leaves and a spoonful of chutney.