Cardamom Ice Cream
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 10 mins
Milk and cream steeped in cardamom and vanilla beans is whirled into a rich frozen dessert.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 -- vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise and seeds scraped
- 2 tablespoons whole cardamom pods
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 -- egg yolks
- Heat milk, cream, vanilla bean (including seeds) and cardamom in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and let steep for at least 15 minutes for flavors to develop. Strain liquid to remove vanilla bean and cardamom pods. Stir together sugar and egg yolks in a small bowl. Slowly stir a small amount of the hot cream mixture into the yolks, then slowly whisk yolks into cream in the pot.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture has thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Strain again through a fine mesh strainer and let cool. Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Cover and freeze until ready to serve.